Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sudden thought while studying

I used to think that my studying habits, where I would want to type out all the class information as notes. I wanted to make sure to answer all questions, satisfying every detail. Basically, this meant I would need to create a detailed outline of any information I received. I got the impression from other people that this must be more time-consuming than was necessary, and I didn't always get it done anyway. I started to think to myself, why do I bother to type all this out? Why don't I just take the book in my hands and stare at the words to learn them--just learn through reading--and simply remember after a few times of review?

I think that it would be better if I went back to the typing of notes. The good thing about typing is that it can organize ALL the information you receive about a topic or chapter being covered in class. There's the notes you might take yourself while reading, the notes you'll be taking from class lectures, any helpful study guides you receive through the book or in class before a test, and material from extra outside study sources. Taking notes handwritten and in other places (like on the computer) and then studying from all those different places is too disorganized for me. It's fine to record something, but I feel a lot better when I put it all in one place. So here's what I'll do.

1. record reading notes before class.

2. take notes in class.

3. review these notes at the end of the day, read or scan the material again, clarify, add important details, and then type it all out on the computer.

4. By typing out notes to clarify and build up information in this sort of "typed notes database" every day you have this class, you are basically reviewing your notes through a task you've assigned yourself. Because it's a "task" and not just a "reading assignment", there is something to accomplish that will give you more focus than if you were simply reading through a chapter or section to glean information. This will help me to learn the information quite effectively, possibly more long-term.

5. Since reviewing has already been accomplished through the typing of the notes, it is not necessary to print out these typed notes for further study after you've looked it over a few times, unless you feel you don't the material or if you want to print out a final copy of the section/s for a comprehensive exam later on.

Ya. It sounds like a really good plan. This way, I have a sort of task to keep me going while I'm doing readings. Free-reading all the way through before I start the notes is probably necessary a lot of the time. But the fact that I will be doing these notes after every class period is much more effective for learning information than studying a lot all on one day. This way, I will become a much better student!

No comments:

Post a Comment

♣Please, feel free to write something!! :) ♣